6/8/12

Silverstein no.10: I Got Stoned And I Missed It

We haven't had a Silverstein in a while. I ran out of good poems from Falling Up. Apparently he wrote songs as well. Here's an excerpt from I Got Stoned and I Missed It.

It took seven months of eargin
just to get that local virgin
with the sweet face
up to my place
to fool around a bit
Next day she woke up rosy
and she snuggled up so cosy
When she asked me how I liked it
Lord it hurts me to admit, 
I was stoned...


Wow, a different side of Silverstein. I mean, from his author photo, you can tell that he's a real player (just look at that beard), but his childrens' poems are so sweet and innocent. It's funny how this poem maintains that innocent tone while talking about getting stoned and sacrificing virgins. But I suppose "the world must be peopled!"*


...And just found out that he drew cartoons for Playboy? Now I'm so overwhelmed...
*Benedick, Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing

No comments: